1.4k

692

0

54

Welcome! You CAN do what you may put your head to

My daughter loves watching videos on YouTube in my tablet. She loves watching those toy unboxing videos, playdough and music videos. I don't mind her seizing my tablet too much, and I attempt to monitor what she watches, but I is not there almost every second.

How To Block A Channel On YouTube

UPDATE February 2017- This post has been updated with new info. I previously stated that blocking a channel can make the videos not appear to you which can be incorrect.

My principal interest with her watching YouTube is in fact due to just about the most popular features - the suggested videos for the right sidebar. My daughter may go from video to video without the need for much the help of me, that is great. BUT sometimes the suggested videos aren't appropriate for my daughter.

She started watching Let It Go” (again and again) after which she would watch other Frozen clips. Then one day I noticed that the Frozen cartoon she was watching would have been a scary parody” of Frozen. I made her put it back, however the suggested videos would keep popping up. There were other channels I didn't like her watching also, which continued to pop-up.

Why can you want to block someone on YouTube,

TRIGGER WARNING!!

Here's another example of something I DEFINITELY don't want my children watching. This is one of several types of videos the kids watch. I would hear this song constantly. When I saw this post shared on Facebook, it literally made me sick to my stomach.

This is the place your mom-instincts come up. You will need to keep an eye out for the channels your kids are coming to contact with which are objectionable. My suggestion is that you simply pay close attention to what your children watch, but in addition look at their history every so often.

How does one get rid of recommended channels on YouTube,

Unfortunately, you cannot right now.

How do you get rid of recommended videos on YouTube,

Can't do that either.

How can you block a channel on YouTube Mobile,

Sensing a topic here, Can't get it done. ðŸ

What happens when you block someone on YouTube,

When you block a channel or even a person on YouTube, you might be only blocking them from commenting on the videos and sending you private messages. Not very helpful right,

Is there ANY way to block a channel on YouTube,

Actually there exists one way it is possible to block a channel on YouTube but it is not through YouTube itself. It is definitely a Google Chrome extension. So, it only works when watching YouTube with a laptop/desktop with Google Chrome.

This is an overall control setting for YouTube.

This is the place where you turn about the Restricted Mode in 2 clicks on the desktop or laptop.

Step 1 - Scroll into the bottom of any page and click on Restricted. (Previously called Safety Mode)

Step 2 - Click the button for On.

This is how you turn around the Restricted Mode with an iPhone.

Step 1 - Click around the gear wheel around the upper right corner

Step 2 - Click on Restricted Mode Filtering

Step 3 - Click on Strict

This is the place where you turn around the Restriced Mode on an Android Tablet.

Step 1 - Click around the three vertical dots around the upper right hand corner.

Step 2 - Click Settings

Step 3 - Click around the box which says Restricted Mode

NOTE: Restricted mode does block some things that you might wish to see. Not inappropriate things even - it had been blocking some videos about blogging for me personally. But I decided I wanted my child safe more than I wanted to view a few missing videos.

What are a handful of other options besides YouTube,

If you want young kids to be entertained with videos but NOT watch YouTube, there are several options.

From the site:

We've taken numerous precautions to ensure that families using YouTube Kids will dsicover videos that are right for younger audiences. We screen Recommended content employing a mix of automated analysis and user input, and that we are continuously making improvements based on new technology, research, and user feedback. Please remember, YouTube handles tremendous breadth, depth and scale of content — so in the end work hard to be right, sometimes your kids may find content in the app that you can not want them to observe.”

is an online early education website for the kids 2 -8. They recently added a 2nd grade curriculum too. Their animated videos and songs are typical created and housed around the site, which means you don't need to be worried about recommended videos.” Plus it's educational!

You can also get a free month trial of ABCMouse to ascertain if you and your child will like it.

You may additionally like:

Download your FREE goal planning sheets inside Practical Printables Club!

Success! Now check your email to verify your subscription and download your Goal Sheets.

There was an oversight submitting your subscription. Please try again.

First Name

Email Address

We utilize this field to detect spam bots. If you fill this in, you'll be marked as a spammer.

I'd like to receive the free email course.

Join Now

1.4k

692

0

54

Comments

I could possibly be completely wrong concerning this, so I apologize upfront if I am, but I think you're mistaken as to what blocking” means. I've searched quit a bit through YouTube's help and support forums before I discovered this website post. As far as I understand from YouTube's terms, blocking” a channel only ensures that you're blocking that channel/person from commenting on any content you post including videos on your own channel or comments. This feature doesn't block the channel completely, unfortunately. I originally thought the same as you and spent the time to visit each unwanted channels about page to close them individually, and then see their videos still show up within the recommendations feed. I feel this blocking feature is extremely inadequate, while it does help prevent any bullying or communication from unwanted channels this doesn't block them from showing up on your feed. Also, I think there's a real need to get able to become able to filter you're recommendations or suggested video content also to avoid certain forms of videos feom showing up at all. YouTube has some major improvements to produce in these areas. I would like to mention also that, yes, there's a new kids youtube app on andriod and ios. I haven't been capable of use utilize this much bc the kids watch YouTube about the PS3 we now have connected in the living room and the kids version is not on PS3. However, from my limited utilisation of the kids app on iPad I do recognize that it is still under similar settings how the regular app is under. You still can't filter your recommendations or suggested videos and you can not block a full channel from arriving. This is a real problem for parents bc there has been quite a few channels that disguise themselves as right for children by featuring popular cartoons like Elsa and Spiderman but their content is terribly inappropriate even for youngsters 13yo and older (as youtube terms say). I have done my part as being a parent to report and block numerous inappropriate channels as I can but there must be a petition created to YouTube make it possible for better parental controls.

I greatly understand why article so you're taking the time to write it. I just wished to clarify some details that parents should become aware of when considering letting their kids watch YouTube.

~Lorelai

come see us at

Comment

Name

Email

Website

A 30-something Mommy to 2 darling girls (2 and 4) plus a newborn baby boy. I love reading, writing, trying new beers with my better half and binge watching series on Netflix.

Looking for something,

Subscribe to the

Newsletter

GET ALL THE LATEST FROM PRACTICAL MOMMY DELIVERED STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX EACH WEEK!

There was a mistake submitting your subscription. Please try again.

Email Address

Most Recent Post

Copyright ©2017, Practical Mommy. All Rights Reserved.