Menu

Here's the setting.

Up to Oct 2011, iPhones came installed with iOS 4. iOS 5.0 was then released, and all iPhones sold after this time were sold with iOS 5.0.

To boost the comfort, I don't know just what the difference between iOS 4 and iOS 5 is. I needed an iPhone to try some mobile websites (I wouldn't buy one for personal use under

any circumstances, since they are just hand candy) and all sorts of I know is the fact that somebody gave me an iPhone 3GS phone that they finished with, together it unlocked from

Vodafone to ensure I could use it on O2. To complete the unlock process I had to do a restore of the iPhone with iTunes, and iTunes wouldn't let me do that unless I

upgraded to iOS 5.

And hence the story begins.

When I first attempted to do the upgrade, iPhone happily started downloading the new software. The payload is approx. 700MB, so I knew it could take a while. However,

it crapped out after approx. 50MB, so I started it again. Same thing, crapped out again, and again, and again.

I did a bit of research about this, and was relayed through the Apple Support web site that I should ensure I had the latest version of iTunes. My version involved 6 months old,

so I went ahead and downloaded the modern version.

Now when I tried, iTunes wouldn't connect in any way to the application update server, and just crapped after waiting half a minute to connect.

More research.

I found out that this was a common problem, then one that not a lot of were able to resolve. The most common suggested resolution involves editing a nearby hosts

file in your Windows system (C:windowssystem32driversetchosts). This is in fact a load of crap.

The reason why this can be a suggested option would be because a lot of people have installed Jailbreak software on their PCs. This software inserts and entry in the hosts

file to ensure that iTunes is directed from Apple's software signing server when performing restores. If that hosts file entry remains, you'll not be able to contact Apple's

signing server when you want to accomplish a genuine restore, for the software upgrade by way of example, so treatment of entry helps. However, for those who have never experimented with

Jailbreak, this is just a waste of time. In fact, such users won't even obtain the rogue entry inside their hosts file.

Digging somewhat deeper, I learned that iTunes allows you to load the program upgrade from your local source, by pressing the Shift key as well as you click Restore.

Hence, if I may get my face to face theipsw file (this can be a file type for Apple iOS updates) that would have to be loaded, I could bypass any issues Apple was having in

connecting towards the software upgrade server.

I looked around about the web to get a source for such files and discovered this link:

-8356.20111012.SQRDT/iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

The server, , is found the Top Level Domain, so I figured this was pretty safe. I opened the web link in my browswer and also the file started

downloading. However, after 50mbs, it crapped out again.

Not planning to give in on this, I tried additional things. Suspecting that maybe my local network connection has not been roboust enough to manage whatever crap was

coming out in the Apple network, I logged onto my Linux hosting server in the Amazon EC2 clould and initiated the download beyond this concept with wget. This worked a delicacy,

and I pulled theipsw file down to the server in about 2 minutes.

I then connected to this server using Filezilla and ftp'ed the file right down to my local PC. I used Filezila as it can restart failed downloads with out to

restart the download all over again, that's handy for big files likeipsw files. Witin thirty minutes or so, I had theipsw file on my laptap.

Feeling sure I had now conquered the Apple iOS 5.0 upgrade connundrum, I cranked up iTunes and used the Shift-Restore substitute for load the locally storedipsw

file. It loaded up and unpacked it, and then told me it absolutely was going to verify the software program with Apple.

Bang. Game over. An unknown error has occured (Error 3194).

Not to fret, I thought, lets see what Error 3194 means.

#error3194

Error 3194: Resolve error 3194 by updating to the latest version of iTunes. This device is just not eligible to the requested build” inside updater logs confirms this is

the root in the issue.

Excellent. An obscure meaningless error message that Microsoft would have been happy with. I really shouldn't have expected whatever else.

So to Google for a lot of more research, and this time I found all kinds of interesting stuff.

Apparently, considering that the release with the iPhone 3GS, Apple knows longer permit you to install operating software on your iPhone unless that software programs are approved by Apple.

That ensures that whenever you use iTunes to upgrade or restore your iPhone, iTunes will scurry off you will find Apple and check that the application you are attempting to load is

approved to your model of iPhone. This, it seems, is definitely an attempt to stop people jailbreaking their iPhones, because Apple doesn't actually like people doing things with

their hardware they don't approve of.

Anyway, furnished with this nugget of info, I contacted Vodafone to ensure my iPhone was definitely unlocked. If Apple was refusing to permit me upgrade it, I

figured this must be something to perform with the status with the handset with the mobile operator to which it turned out issued.

Not so. Vodafone declared that as far as these were concerned the handset was unlocked, which I will have to copy Apple for tech support team.

I did as I was instructed, and was eventually put through to one of these agents to whom I described my problem. He said that Error 3194 meant I had security

software running on my own PC, which I needed to shut down. I assured him I hadn't, and directed him on the Apple Support website which stated that Error 3194 concerned

the eligibility of phones for upgrade. He then suggested I reboot my PC. I told him I wasn't going to accomplish this, anf the husband was wasting my own time.

He got a bit flustered as of this and put me through to at least one of this supervisors. This guy did actually know more so I explained those things I had taken thus

far. However, when I told him that I had downloaded theipsw file directly coming from a download server, he sprang your, and I knew I had designed a mistake.

This has not been possible to do, he stated, the best way to get the software was through iTunes, and the application that I was now wanting to load was really a jailbreak

image from a 3rd party and that this was why the upgrade wasn't working.

I tried to explain to him the download came from within the domain, which meant it absolutely was legit, and asked why iTunes allowed you to load a locally stored

ipsw file if it had not been possible to obtain such a file straight from Apple.

No, he explained, he worked for Apple and he knew what he was referring to.

I attempted to convince him still further. I showed him the resolved with an IP address which was leased to Akamai Technologies, the corporation that

manages all of Apple's media downloads.

No, he explained, he worked for Apple and he knew what he was speaking about.

At this time, I allow him to and off and now we went through his checklist for solving software upgrade issues.

We cleared the DNS cache. No difference. We designed a new user account under Windows and tried the download using (!!). No difference. We cleared should be genuine out

from the Windows hosts file and rebooted (!!!!!!). No difference.

I asked him if he knew what server iTunes tried to get in touch to when you are performing upgrades, as well as on what TCP port, to ensure that we could test that they independently. He didn't know

any of such details, and seemed incredulous which he should be expected to learn.

He eventually told me something on the effect that I will have to sign up with an all new ISP if I wanted to upgrade my iPhone. At this point, I ended the call.

Some good did come of computer, however. Having asked the question in regards to the server iTunes connects to, I set about finding this out for myself.

I installed TCPView on my laptop, cranked the iTunes upgrade process, and had a look at what it really was attached to. I found out it was connected to ip address

82.52.205.135 on HTTP to perform the download. This ip address is leased to an Italian Telecoms company, and obviously forms portion of Apple's new iCloud product.

I also made a decision to see what Apple was attempting to download, and looked in C:usersgarrethAppDataRoamingApple ComputeriTunesiPhone Software Updates, which is where

iTunes keeps theipsw files it downloads from Apple.

Here, I found folders called iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw.download, that was obviously the partial download of the fullipsw file.

Now, see the difference within this file name the the one I originally downloaded.

iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

v

iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

Yes, iTunes was looking to download a neweripsw file the one I had downloaded! Of course, iTunes wasn't letting me use myipsw file just because a newer one exists,

and Apple doesn't enable you install olderipsw files than the current up to date version.

Now, all I had to perform was locate a copy in the neweripsw file that I could download directly and try and load that.

I Google'ed iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw and discovered the following link, that has been again on the server, the one how the guy in Apple support

swore blind had nothing to do with Apple and was giving me jailbroken software:

-3307.20111109.5tGhu/iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

I downloaded this one inside the same way as before (via my Linux server) and tried the Shift-Restore option again.

And do you know what, It worked! The new iOS was loaded to my iPhone and I now have an unlocked iPhone that I can use on the O2 network.

So what do you need to know from every one of this. A few things.

First of all, it is possible to load a locally storedipsw file into iTunes. You just need in order that it it the most up-to-date version of the iOS. The Tech

Support guys in Apple truly must be not told this, and it could probably cause them get users to do all sorts of crazy things using PCs, that could end up in

Apple getting sued (Woman strangles cat with computer cable while wanting to upgrade iPhone” etc)

Secondly, the iCloud service that Apple initiated a policy of using to distribute media is usually very flaky. Presumably, I was given to a server in Italy because I live

in Europe. Users in other parts with the world will no doubt have differing experience, but it certainly seems the Italian arm of iCould is waaaaay underspec'ed.

Thirdly, you should give serious thought to using something apart from an iPhone because your smartphone. The saga I have described above if very common within the

iPhone user population, which is unheard for Android users. I myself have an Android. I've updated the operating system on it twice. When it needs an upgrade, it tells

me, and I then allow it download the upgrade overnight. When I get up in the morning, its done. No hassle.

Also, my hadnset manufacturer, HTC, is very happy will use whatever os I want on my small phone, that is what I'd expect, since I purchased it for and

own it. The fact that this is simply not the case with Apple must be all you need to know.

This is really a saga, but when you've been tearing flowing hair out wanting to upgrade to version 5.0 of the Apple iOS in your iPhone, its probably worth reading.

Here's the setting.

Up to Oct 2011, iPhones came installed with iOS 4. Thereafter, iOS 5.0 premiered, and all sorts of iPhones sold after that time were sold with iOS 5.0.

To be honest, I don't know what the difference between iOS 4 and iOS 5 is. I needed an iPhone to test some mobile websites (I wouldn't acquire one for personal use under any circumstances, as they are just hand candy) and all I know is always that somebody gave me an iPhone 3GS phone that they finished with, and had it unlocked from Vodafone so that I could use it on O2. To complete the unlock process I had to complete a restore of the iPhone with iTunes, and iTunes may not let me make this happen unless I upgraded to iOS 5.

And hence the story begins.

When I first attempted to accomplish the upgrade, iTunes happily started downloading the brand new software. The payload is approx. 700MB, so I knew it could take a while. However, it crapped out after approx. 50MB, so I started it again. Same thing, crapped out again, and again, and again.

I did a certain amount of research with this, and was told by the Apple Support web site that I should ensure I had the latest version of iTunes. My version was about 6 months old, so I went ahead and downloaded the new version.

Now when I tried, iTunes wouldn't connect in any respect to the application update server, and crapped after waiting 30 seconds to connect.

More research.

I discovered that this was a common problem, the other that not lots of were able to resolve. The most common suggested resolution involves editing a nearby hosts file in your Windows system (C:windowssystem32driversetchosts). This is the truth is a load of crap.

The good reason that this can be a suggested solution is because lots of people have installed Jailbreak software on their PCs. This software inserts an entry into the hosts file to ensure iTunes is directed away from Apple's software signing server when you are conducting restores. If that hosts file entry remains, you won't be able to contact Apple's signing server when you want to perform a genuine restore, for the software upgrade for example, so detaching the entry helps. However, for people who have never tried to Jailbreak, accusation in court a waste of time. In fact, such users won't even find the rogue entry of their hosts file.

Digging a lttle bit deeper, I discovered that iTunes permits you to load the application upgrade from a local source, by pressing the Shift key as well as you click Restore.

Hence, if I might get my on the job theipsw file (this can be a file type for Apple iOS updates) that would have to be loaded, I could bypass any issues Apple was having in connecting for the software upgrade server.

I looked around around the web for the source for such files and located this link:

-8356.20111012.SQRDT/iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

The server, , is located in the Top Level Domain, so I figured this became pretty safe. I opened the url in my browswer and also the file started downloading. However, after 50mbs, it crapped out again.

Not planning to give in with this, I tried other things. Suspecting that maybe my local network connection wasn't robust enough to deal with whatever bumpf was coming out of the Apple network, I logged onto my Linux hosting server inside Amazon EC2 cloud and initiated the download beyond this concept with wget. This worked a delicacy, and I pulled theipsw file down on top of the server within 2 minutes.

I then connected to this server using Filezilla and ftp'ed the file down to my local PC. I used Filezila because it can restart failed downloads with no to restart the download all over again, that is handy for big files likeipsw files. Witin 30 minutes or so, I had theipsw file on my own laptap.

(Note: hopefully you won't have to do the step above, where you can good enough network connection to acquire theipsw with your browser)

Feeling sure that I had now conquered the Apple iOS 5.0 upgrade connundrum, I cranked up iTunes and used the Shift-Restore option to load the locally storedipsw file. It loaded it down and unpacked it, and then told me it was going to verify the software program with Apple.

Bang. Game over. An unknown error has occured (Error 3194).

Not to be concerned, I thought, lets see what Error 3194 means.

Excellent. An obscure meaningless error message that Microsoft would have been proud of. I really shouldn't have expected everything else.

So time for Google for a few more research, and this time I found a variety of interesting stuff.

Apparently, since the release with the iPhone 3GS, Apple may no longer let you install operating software on your iPhone unless that software program is approved (signed) by Apple. This basically applies to everything other compared to the most current version with the iOS. Apple doesn't want you loading older versions, because some of these enable you to do issues that Apple doesn't want you to do.

That signifies that whenever you use iTunes to upgrade or restore your iPhone, iTunes will scurry off where you can Apple and check that the software you are wanting to load is approved to your model of iPhone. This, this indicates, is definitely an attempt to stop people jailbreaking their iPhones, because Apple really doesn't like people doing things with their hardware that they don't approve of. As noted above, this is why jailbreaking software directs you faraway from Apple's signing server,

Anyway, furnished with this nugget of info, I contacted Vodafone to make sure that my iPhone was definitely unlocked. If Apple was refusing to allow me upgrade it, I figured this should be something to complete with the status in the handset while using mobile operator to which it was issued.

Not so. Vodafone declared as far as these were concerned the handset was unlocked, knowning that I would have to copy Apple for technical support.

I did as I was instructed, and was eventually put through to one with their agents to whom I described my problem. He asserted Error 3194 meant I had security software running in my PC, which I needed to shut down. I assured him I hadn't, and directed him towards the Apple Support website which stated that Error 3194 concerned the eligibility of phones for upgrade. He then suggested I reboot my PC. I told him I wasn't going to do this, and the man was wasting my time.

He got a lttle bit flustered as of this and put me through to 1 of this supervisors. This guy gave the impression to know a little bit more so I explained what I had taken thus far. However, when I told him that I had downloaded theipsw file directly from your download server, he sprang your, and I knew I had created a mistake.

This was not possible to complete, he stated, the best way to get the application was through iTunes, and the application that I was now trying to load would have been a jailbreak image coming from a 3rd party and that this became why the upgrade wasn't working.

I experimented with explain to him that the download came from within the domain, which meant it was legit, and asked why iTunes allowed you to load a locally storedipsw file if it wasn't possible to have such a file directly from Apple.

No, he said, he worked for Apple and the man knew what he was referring to.

I experimented with convince him still further. I showed him the resolved to a IP address that has been leased to Akamai Technologies, the Edge Caching company that facilitates all of Apple's media downloads.

No, he said, he worked for Apple and the man knew what he was speaking about.

At this point, I permit him to and off and that we went through his checklist for solving software upgrade issues.

We cleared the DNS cache. No difference. We created a new user account under Windows and tried the download using (!!). No difference. We cleared the comments out in the Windows hosts file and rebooted (!!!!!!). No difference.

I asked him if he knew what server iTunes tried to get in touch to when performing upgrades, as well as on what TCP port, to ensure we could test that independently. He didn't know any of such details, and seemed incredulous he should be expected to understand.

He eventually explained something to the effect that I would need to sign up with a new ISP if I planned to upgrade my iPhone. At this time, I ended the letter.

Some good did come from it, however. Having asked the question about the server iTunes connects to, I started finding this out for myself.

I installed TCPView on my own laptop, cranked up the iTunes upgrade process, along a look at just what it was associated with. I found out that it was attached to ip address 82.52.205.135 on HTTP to accomplish the download. This ip address is leased for an Italian Telecoms company, and obviously forms a part of Apple's new iCloud product, or maybe considered one of Akamai's Edge servers.

I also decided to see what Apple was wanting to download, and looked in C:usersgarrethAppDataRoamingApple ComputeriTunesiPhone Software Updates, that's where iTunes keeps theipsw files it downloads from Apple.

Here, I found personal files called iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw.download, which was obviously the partial download from the fullipsw file.

Now, see the difference with this file name the normally the one I originally downloaded.

iPhone2,1_5.0_9A334_Restore.ipsw

v

iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

Yes, iTunes was trying to download a neweripsw file that this one I had downloaded! Of course, iTunes wasn't letting me use myipsw file because a newer one exists, and Apple doesn't enable you install olderipsw files than the current current version.

Now, all I had to complete was discover a copy of the neweripsw file that I could download directly and try and load that.

I Google'ed iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw and located the following link, which has been again about the server, the one how the guy in Apple support swore blind had nothing to complete with Apple and was giving me jailbroken software:

-3307.20111109.5tGhu/iPhone2,1_5.0.1_9A405_Restore.ipsw

-6051.2012.0525.Cvby7/iPhone3,1_5.1.1_9B208_Restore.ipsw

I downloaded this one in the same way as before (via my Linux server) and tried the Shift-Restore option again.

And do you know what, It worked! The new iOS was loaded to my iPhone and I now have an unlocked iPhone that I can use on the O2 network.

So so what can you need to learn from every one of this. A few things.

First of, you'll be able to load a locally storedipsw file into iTunes. You just need in order that it it the most current version from the iOS. The Tech Support guys in Apple must be not told this, and it might probably cause them get users to perform all sorts of crazy things using PCs, which could end up in Apple getting sued (Woman strangles cat with computer cable while attempting to upgrade iPhone” etc)

Secondly, you should give serious thought to using something aside from an iPhone as your smartphone. The saga I have described above if very common in the iPhone user population, and is also unheard of for Android users. I myself come with an Android. I've updated the main system on it twice. When it needs an upgrade, it tells me, and I then allow it download the upgrade overnight, directly towards the handset using WIFI. When I get up in the morning, its done. No hassle.

Also, my handset manufacturer, HTC, is very happy for me to use whatever os I want on my small phone, that's what I'd expect, considering that I bought it for and own it. The fact that this is not the case with Apple, explained here , must be all you need to understand.

by admin

Post navigation

feeltoofree

Thanks alot man. I rarely ever reply to a forum but ive gotta admit u saved me man.

After passing 2 insomnia search for solutions on error 3194; i attempted ur method and first got error 3004 but i realised it was just a connection error therefore i closed my downloads and restarted again and ”MAGIC” it gave with the most up-to-date ios version. i careless abt the jailbreak cause at some point a jailbreak for the version ios8.2 for my iphone 5 is going to be released and that i will jailbreak it then fo the time being. i really mean to express THANKS.

umesh

Erik

Jehoshaphat Asher

Tushar

Adarsh

Sir

You certainly are a genius I was stucked with error 17 and 3194 After ur advice (evrn although it took time to learn ) every little thing worked fine Hanks You saved by 2000 bucks

Comment navigation

Name

Email

Website

Comment

You could use these HTML tags and attributes:

Search