Problem

I switch on the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone also it shows up fine being an available Wifi network in Windows exactly the Wifi name looks a little off in Windows when compared to the iPhone. My iPhone name is Max's iPhone” in Windows the apostrophe looks scrambled” which is replaced by two trash” characters, something this way: Max¿Ǝ iPhone”.

When I try to get in touch my Windows laptop over Wifi it just keeps trying in order to connect - showing message Checking network requirements” - before I finally get Can't connect to this network. On the iPhone I obtain the blue Personal Hotspot field on top of the screen flashing on / off while Windows tries to connect.

Solution

Solution would be to change the name of one's iPhone to take out or replace the apostrophe.

To change name of your iPhone in iOS: Settings - General - About - Name

More info

I just fixed this and unfortunately cannot recreate or remember exact just what the scrambled or trash characters during my iPhone name appeared to be but I think one of several characters was an upside down letter E and/or question mark. So it looks something this way Max¿Ǝ iPhone”.

So this seems to be what messes things up for Windows.

For me they have worked both to remove the apostrophe or replace it, ie delete it and then type it again. The name will be the same in your iPhone but following this it will also look ok in Windows Wifi selection and Windows must be able for connecting to your iPhone Personal Hotspot without any problem.

It seems this challenge keeps reoccuring personally. I do not use Personal Hotspot that usually so I'm not sure when or why this reoccurence happens but my best guess is always that an iOS upgrade or switching to a different device and installing from backup would be the cause.

Currently running iOS 9.0.2 by using an iPhone 6 and Windows 10 but I have had this issue in previous versions of both iOS and Windows.

Did this solution be right for you,

Please i want to and others know by commenting, provide what version of Windows and iOS you are using once you know it.

Feb 29, 2016 @ 09:32:28

I also had the same issue ( blue connect on phone did not display just blink ), Change the name sign up for the ‘s , reconnect from windows 10 now I can see the internet from my PC.

Thanks

Jeanne

Mar 26, 2016 @ 06:19:42

Thank you! Solved my problem - personally it was brackets creating the problem

Matt

May 10, 2016 @ 21:59:45

I had the same issue. My iPhone name stood a space within it. I could not receive the hotspot to do business with Windows 10. I got the space inside phone name plus it worked instantly.

Fred

Jun 21, 2016 @ 11:44:43

Thanks quite definitely. Had this concern of windows not recognizing my iphone hotspotI read posts saying it was an icloud issue. That was false. It was simply because you said removing the apostrophe from my Iphone name !! Worked great !!!

Rob

Jun 27, 2016 @ 05:18:46

Rob's iPhone works perfectly well with Win 7. I've look at this solution elsewhere but changing the phone name to merely Rob, changing the password, rebooting both the product and the Win 10 machine still gives exactly the same error; Can't hook up to this network. Tried it with another iPhone Same result. It has to be a Win 10 Wi-Fi issue as it will interact with a USB 4G internet device. Tried disabling 802.11n support as suggested elsewhere. No change. It's got me!

Charles

Jul 06, 2016 @ 00:14:02

Problem solved. All I did was customize the name, switched off wireless and private hotspot and turned them back on……success!!!!

thanks heaps.

Jul 26, 2016 @ 01:47:12

This worked perfectly!! I followed your instructions and problem solved. Thank you!!

Kdomzy

Nils Mathisen

Nov 27, 2016 @ 15:03:27

This solution worked for me as well - i had an apostrophe in my iphone name. Changed, and presto whamo, it truely does work. Well done - thanks!

Jessica

Keith

Jan 15, 2017 @ 02:20:51

Yes labored on my S. Thanks,might have never known is was the name.

Paul

Mar 01, 2017 @ 09:02:49

Wow.. it worked. 12 months of pulling my hair out and yes it was a simple apostrophe.!!!!

Thank you. Just saved me tons of cash as would buy a single.!!

Ann

Mar 02, 2017 @ 16:25:01

Thank you !! It finally worked ! This issue may be really progressing my nerves. There was nothing wrong remembering what the name appeared though. it turned out just fine nevertheless it wouldn't connect.

Thanks again 🙂

Apr 30, 2017 @ 20:39:21

Windows 7 64bit iPhone 6 - worked when I took spaces out of your name.

Gary

KSENIA

iPhone 7 and windows 7

Ksenia

Jun 21, 2017 @ 01:25:49

I wasted my time going through numerous Apple support threads once the solution was as elementary as removing an apostrophe. You're a lifesaver, thanks a lot!!

Hippo

Jun 23, 2017 @ 14:38:15

It worked to me… Iphone 7Plus and Win 10. Thanks a bunch….

fatin

Jul 26, 2017 @ 13:40:18

it doesnt are employed in me my ip6 and windows 10 cant connect

SVTF100

Sep 09, 2017 @ 16:11:59

This worked perfect. Had a hyphen in the name and its particular solid. Thank you!

GREG

Gareth

Oct 17, 2017 @ 20:45:33

Thank you! I tried everything. I didn't have even an issue with the apostrophe displaying - it simply wouldn't connect. I can't believe an apostrophe could cause this kind of issue.

Suresh

Nov 03, 2017 @ 09:17:45

Wifi name needs to be one word without having space and apostrophe. I tried and It's works for me. Thanks

Zoltan

Nov 14, 2017 @ 13:19:42

Thanks! After one-half year of useless Internet browsing and searching for solution the afternoon has come: it functions!!!! Thanks a thousand!!!

aime

Nov 18, 2017 @ 21:32:58

My phone's name was Iphone (Aime)” when I changed it to iphoneaime” my hotspot started working perfectly. Thank you so much!

What do you think about this post,

Please Leave a Comment!

Cancel

Name

(required)

Mail

(required)

Website

Tags